Areas of Responsibility
Reporting to the SVP & Controller the Payroll Manager is responsible for the timely processing of BNYDC’s payroll, maintaining payroll, time and attendance, and related records, and producing payroll reports.
- Pays employees by performing the production and issuance of paychecks and electronic transfers to bank accounts
- Maintains payroll information by designing systems; performing the collection, calculation, and entering of all related data
- Ensures systems are set-up and updated to reflect current employee base, including wages, taxes withheld, and other deductions in line with union contracts and company policies
- Critically reviews and analyses current payroll and tax procedures in order to recommend and implement changes leading to best-practice operations
- Partners with HR in aligning and implementing a more sophisticated payroll system
- Ensures time and attendance information is updated by managers for accurate payroll processing
- Ensures the processing of new hires, temporary employers, annual increases, etc.
- Prepares reports by compiling summaries of earnings, taxes, deductions, leave, disability, and non-taxable wages
- Determines payroll liabilities by performing the calculation of employee federal and state income and social security taxes, and employer's social security, unemployment, and workers compensation payments
- Balances the payroll accounts by resolving payroll discrepancies
- Provides payroll information by answering questions and requests
- Maintains payroll guidelines by writing and updating policies and procedures
- Complies with federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation; enforcing adherence to requirements; advising management on needed actions
- Audits W-4s, payroll records, YTD earnings, etc.
- Maintains employee confidence and protects payroll operations by keeping information confidential
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed
- Manages regular preparation of relevant management reports, including weekly, monthly, quarterly and year-end reports
Required Skills and Abilities
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to keep payroll information confidential
- Extensive knowledge of ADP or similar payroll software; Paycom knowledge a plus
- Prior payroll system conversion experience a plus
- Ability to interpret union contracts a plus
- Proficient at MS Office, and Excel
- Minimum of a BA in finance or accounting preferred
- Minimum of 5 years payroll processing experience
Interested applicants should submit a resume and cover letter as an attachment to HRFinance@bnydc.org
BNYDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex (including actual or perceived sex, gender, gender identity, self-image, appearance, behavior or expression) sexual orientation, genetic trait, actual or perceived status of a victim of domestic violence, or as victim of sex offenses or stalking, unemployment status, age, ancestry, national origin, citizenship status, marital or domestic partnership status, military status, handicap, disability, or any other legally protected classification.