Areas of Responsibility
The BNYDC Archives collects, organizes, and preserves the corporate records and assets of the Brooklyn Navy Yard Development Corporation, as well as material relating to the history of the Brooklyn Navy Yard. The Archives makes this material accessible and provides research support to any interested persons who seek to evaluate the impact of Brooklyn Navy Yard and BNYDC activities on the history of Brooklyn’s social, cultural, and economic development.
The BNYDC Archives seeks an intern to assist in processing archival collections both large and small in extent. Under the supervision of the BNYDC Archivist, the intern will re-process one large collection at the item level, based on a processing plan devised by the Archivist. The intern may also complete arrangement and description for a series of smaller collections.
- Update/create DACS-compliant finding aids
- Apply basic preservation techniques to archival records, including encapsulating fragile material and rehousing oversized material
- Arrange and describe artifacts from disparate collections into a single unified collection, and create DACS-compliant finding aid
- Create catalog records in Collective Access digital asset management system.
- Must be currently enrolled in an accredited graduate program for Library and Information Science with a concentration in archives
- Demonstrated experience arranging and describing collections
- Strong organizational, writing, and communication skills
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Cloud suites (Word, Excel, Photoshop)
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to bend, reach, and lift boxes or volumes weighing up to 40 lbs.
- Familiarity with CMS and DAM systems, particularly Collective Access preferred
- Demonstrated cataloging experience preferred
- Familiarity with DACS and with the use and application of standardized vocabularies preferred
- $15 per hour
- 2-3 flexible days per week Monday-Friday, 9am – 5pm; up to 15 hours per week
Submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com
BNYDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.